Responsible for providing support to the Systems Manager of the Bursar’s Office in ensuring accuracy of information in Lehigh’s database, for both student and non-student accounts. The Senior Accounting and Technology Assistant also serves as a backup to other staff positions within the Bursar's Office, and provides customer service by offering answers and solutions to students and parents, whether in-person, over the phone, chat or email. The Lehigh community takes seriously our commitment to antiracism and The Principles of our Equitable Community.
1. Technical Support of the Bursar’s office *Assist with testing of new or upgraded software systems and specific applications; verifies validity and integrity of data in the systems after upgrade *Regularly runs specified Banner (Lehigh’s database) jobs to ensure smooth and continued operation of Banner in support of departmental functions or processes, such as importing of student charges *Use Access or other reporting tools to provide data needed for other departments; modify queries and reports as needed *Assist with maintenance of departmental website and forms available through the website *Update department process and procedure documentation as needed to stay current with software versions
2. Coordinate non-student billings *Search for existing Banner customer ID and create new ID if required to complete billing; maintain contact data (phone, address, email) for non-student accounts *Verify detail codes for non-student charges and insure accuracy of revenue being booked to correct Banner index and account *Research to identify appropriate account and complete application of check payment for non-student accounts *Reallocate funds out of clearing accounts for non-student billings, prepare and post journal entries for Banner Finance *Reconcile revenue clearing account indexes *Generate monthly reports for non-student accounts *Coordinate customer deposits for Conference Services *Coordinate delinquent non-student accounts *Coordinate billings for Greek organizations for charges incurred *Coordinate monthly reports for graduate housing deposits for Housing Services (including off-campus housing owned by Lehigh) and support Housing Services with Graduate Housing transactions and inquires, including security deposit refunds
3. Facilitate, process and record special payments *Apply daily electronic payments received via Wire Transfers, ACH Credit and other electronic formats *Research and identify to determine application to appropriate student bursar accounts *Apply check payments for non-University (outside) scholarship payments, state tuition savings (529) plans and VA payments *Prepare and send documentation to Financial Aid for receipt of outside scholarships and VA benefit payments; insure student financial aid has been adjusted and updated in Banner with outside scholarship information *Prepare manual invoices for outside scholarship organizations, state tuition savings plans and Veterans Organizations when required. *Analyze eligibility of receipt of funds and return when required. *Record receipt of outside funding sources in Banner for documentation purposes.
4. Serve a secondary point-of-contact for Student Health Insurance Plans (SHIP) *Provide consulting and support regarding current SHIP offerings, as well as eligibility requirements. *Coordinate with the University’s insurance broker to ensure accurate record of enrollments and waivers *Coordinate with the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) regarding waivers and enrollment for international students *Track and notify students who have not met the university’s enrollment and waiver deadlines; coordinate with other departments as necessary
5. Provide customer service *Provide customer service to customers in person, or over phone, chat or email *Receive and apply check payments to accounts in the Banner system *Research and analyze student inquiries and resolve any discrepancies; calculate and provide amounts due to students and their authorized users *Assist and instruct customers in the completion of various forms; provide explanations and guide students and parents in completion of forms *File student worksheets, payment plans and all other student related information *Research unidentified checks and determine appropriate application of the funds *Maintain backup documentation of all transactions performed and submit daily cashier sessions per department procedure
6. Serve as back up to several Bursar Office staff positions and provide other office support as needed *Assist with daily mail and posting of student check payments in the Banner system *Act as a substitute and backup for Senior Accounts Receivable Coordinator, completing all daily bank deposits and associated entries in the Banner system; ability to fill in during absences and vacation periods *Prepare and coordinate itemized invoices for Graduate Students in support of their employer sponsored tuition reimbursement programs
Grade: 7 – 37.5
Position Number: S78490
This position has fiscal or financial responsibilities other than employee expense activity, such as processing or approving transactions; monitoring or preparing budgets; or generating income for University
This position is expected to partially work remote while the campus remains in a limited capacity due to COVID-19; in the future it is expected that this position will be staffed on campus where they can be fully accessible to the Lehigh community
Associates or Vocational/Technical Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience; Bachelor's Degree preferred
Three to five years related work experience
Excellent communication, interpersonal skills and a high level of customer service required
Ability to build, foster and maintain positive professional relationships
Solid writing ability, attention to detail and organizational skills
Solid analytical, decision making and problem-solving skills
Solid computer skills with experience using word processing, spreadsheet and database software
Successful completion of standard background checks including but not limited to: social security verification, education verification, national criminal background checks, motor vehicle checks, PATCH, FBI fingerprinting, Child Abuse Clearance and credit history based upon the requirements of the position
Only complete applications will be considered therefore please complete the application in its entirety. Once the posting is removed from the website applications may no longer be allowed to be completed.
Internal Number: 499613
About Lehigh University
Lehigh is a premier residential research university, ranked in the top tier of national research universities each year. We are a coeducational, nondenominational, private university that offers a distinct academic environment of undergraduate and graduate students from across the globe.